ThinkMobiles is one of most trusted companies conducting IT & software reviews since 2011. Our mission is to provide best reviews, analysis, user feedback and vendor profiles. Learn more about review process.
PC drivers represent essential software components that are used by devices to interact with computer operating systems. Drivers are the files which the operating system and hardware devices use to send or receive data.
Top free driver updater tools
For the following reviews we used Acer Aspire laptop, with Windows 7 64-bit system, 3 GB RAM. Tests were performed during August-September. Now, the list of free driver updater in random order.
Let’s begin from short comparison of driver updaters key charasteristics:
|Product||Menu languages||Drivers database||Installer file size||Disk space require||Pro version||Tray app|
|Driver Booster||49||3.000.000||24 MB||111 MB||$22.95||✔|
|Driver Easy||14||8.000.000||14 MB||15 MB||$29.95||✘|
|Driver Finder||1||1.000.000||1 MB||14 MB||$29.95||✔|
|Bit Driver Updater||41||N/A||8 MB||27 MB||$24.95||✔|
|DriverMax||17||2.300.000||6 MB||15 MB||$10.39||✔|
|Avast Driver Updater||13||500.000||2 MB||136 MB||$39.99||✔|
|Snappy Driver Installer||41||N/A||27 MB||27 MB||✘||✘|
|Driver Identifier||1||N/A||5 MB||13 MB||✘||✘|
|Driver Talent||16||500.000||23 MB||71 MB||$19.95||✔|
|Device Doctor||1||1.100.000||6 MB||24 MB||✘||✘|
|WinZip Driver Updater||16||N/A||18 MB||46 MB||$29.95||✔|
|Smart Driver Care||2||1.200.000||6 MB||23 MB||$39.95||✔|
|Driver Genius||6||1.500.000||24 MB||66 MB||$22.95||✔|
|DriverDoc||1||16.000.000||6 MB||18 MB||$39.95||✔|
|Carambis Driver Updater||16||230.000||2 MB||24 MB||$9.95||✘|
|Driver Reviver||15||1.000.000||18 MB||45 MB||$29.99||✔|
|Advanced Driver Reviver||14||N/A||10 MB||22 MB||$39.95||✔|
|Ashampoo Driver Updater||25||N/A||14 MB||25 MB||$19.00||✔|
|Auslogics Driver Updater||7||N/A||13 MB||43 MB||$33.96||✔|
|AVG Driver Updater||13||500.000||45 MB||138 MB||$39.99||✔|
|Driver Magician||13||N/A||5 MB||8 MB||$29.95||✘|
|Driver Fusion||42||N/A||34 MB||29 MB||$19.99||✘|
|DriverHub||25||N/A||2 MB||59 MB||✘||✔|
|DriverPack Solution||52||N/A||6 MB||16 MB||✘||✔|
|DriversCloud||7||N/A||9 MB||23 MB||✘||✘|
|DUMo||15||N/A||4 MB||9 MB||$14.99||✘|
|Slimware DriveUpdate||5||N/A||1 MB||41 MB||$19.97||✔|
|UpdateStar Drivers||1||1.746.000||1 MB||14 MB||$29.95||✔|
|Outbyte Driver Updater||7||N/A||13 MB||52 MB||$29.95||✔|
|DriverToolkit||2||N/A||3 MB||7 MB||$29.90||✔|
Driver Booster free version searches and updates drivers for Windows Operating System. For a free version, we find this driver updating software impressive as it picks up vital updates. Unlike the paid version which automatically updates all drivers, the free version can only indicate and you will have to make multiple clicks updating the drivers one-by-one.
- Scans for outdated drivers
- Performs a silent installation of drivers
- Manages a significant number of device drivers which include Samsung, Dell, Intel, Radeon, etc.
- Extensive driver library to update a range of computer hardware devices
- Silent installation of drivers
- Does not automatically update all drivers at once as it requires the user to manually click on each and every indicated device
- Lengthy installation (it took us 35 minutes actually), bloatware
- Takes too much disk space
Tips. Always check the size, date of release, as well as the version number of the driver that needs to be updated to know the best time to perform an update. Also, when installing, select custom installation to avoid unwanted apps and extensions like Yandex.
Verdict. There is not much difference between the free and paid version of Driver Booster. If you have got time, then, it should not be a problem to manually update every single driver indicated. After all, you only need to click and it will install the selected ones on your command.
Read the full Driver Booster review.
Driver Easy is a powerful software that can be used at personal as well as commercial level. The program is compatible with Windows Operating Systems. It scans for issues within the computer drivers components and fixes related problems.
- Pre-set daily to monthly scan schedule
- Displays hardware information
- Silently downloads drivers without the use of an external browser
- Hide a device to not show in future scans
- Displays full system info
- Can scan for drivers while offline
- Detects essential drivers
- Responsive support service via email
- 30-day money back guarantee
- No bulk download
- Fails to detect some of the drivers
- Does not ensure whether drivers are obtained from OEM sources
- Require the user to manually install drivers
Tips. Use the company’s website FAQs as well as knowledge base forums to troubleshoot or gain insights about this particular driver updater tool.
Verdict. Driver Easy should not be a miss if you are looking for a performing free driver updater software. Although, in our test it missed a significant number of drivers, the essential ones were detected. A good free tool to conduct dirty work bt scanning for broken, outdated, and missing drivers.
Driver Finder by DeskToolsSoft selects a driver for the PC, based on and its models. Using unique identifiers for the equipment, the program selects a 100% compatible driver for the system. Programs for devices that were previously connected to a PC and have problems with compatibility / installation of servers. Driver Finder has own small client which will be located in the tray, and provide quick access to the main window of the interface.
- Low system requirements
- 3 levels of drivers check
- Found drivers for removable devices
- Drivers backup / restore
- Custom selection of work folders
- Online knowledge base
- Online installer
- Blocks downloads in some countries
- Custom scan unavailable
Tips. Strange or not, but Driver Finder blocks file downloads in certain countries. So in case of such error, install a VPN and reconnect from a different location.
Verdict. Driver Finder has an excellent driver backup system. Full and customized device drivers backups are available. In the Free version, search and driver update functions are very limited, and on-demand scanning is blocked. In the Pro version, all functionality is available, including increased driver download speed and some other features.
Bit Driver Updater is a relatively new product from Germany that is rapidly gaining users all over the world. Its main traits are simplicity and functionality. Easy-to-use menu contains all important features of driver updater software, conveniently grouped in tabs. Thanks to this, even inexperienced users need only a few minutes to start using it. It has a huge database of actual updates, proving to be of high efficiency. Also it has a built-in tool for rolling back to previous versions of drivers and creating their local backups.
- Sound notifications
- Detailed driver info
- Restore points
- Full and custom driver backups
- Manual driver backup/restore
- Auto-scan on system load
- Connection via proxy server possible
- Only dark interface theme
- Limited download speed in free version
- One-click update only in Pro
Tips. Scheduler in Bit Driver Updater supports four modes of checking for updates: one-time, daily, weekly, and Off. In cyclic modes, you can also set the start date, but note that the scheduler can work only in one mode at the same time.
Verdict. Bit Driver Updater is the perfect solution for anyone looking for a simple and convenient driver updater app. There aren’t unnecessary functions, only the crucial ones to search and install driver updates.
Driver Genius by Driver-Soft Inc., a vendor that produces driver utility software exclusively (Drivers Restore, Drivers Backup, Drivers Cleanup, System Transfer Assistant, SSD Speeder), detects, installs and backs up device drivers. With a huge database, comprising of motherboard drivers, sound card drivers, video card drivers, network drivers, mouse drivers, scanner/printer drivers, etc., users may fix any issues in one click. A cool feature to package all drivers into one executable auto installer.
- System CleanUp
- SSD Speeder
- 1-click update for all drivers
- A lot of additional features
- Updates rollback
- 2 ways of drivers recovery
- Inconvenient interface
- Limited download speed in free version
- One-click update only in Pro
Tips. Driver Genius has a very flexible unwanted changes rollback system. Users can roll back system state to the last recovery point (if the changes were global), or undo last driver installations only, thus restoring the original state without changing system parameters.
Verdict. Driver Genius free edition allows you to search and install updates for drivers with a limited download speed. The Pro version contains additional features (System CleanUp, SSD Speeder, System Booster) aimed at entire PC optimization.
DriverMax free driver updater version is outstanding compared to other apps as it performs automated installations. It also can be pre-set to execute scheduled scans. The features we found in this driver updating software were impressive for a free version.
With that said, the major turnoff is in the limited number of drivers that the user is allowed to download per day or month. The limitation is so extreme such that only 2 drivers can be downloaded per day.
- Compatible to recent Windows versions
- Automatically scans and detect device drivers that need update or issues fixed
- Performs scheduled scans
- Lists all drivers with issues and without issues
- Can back up your system drivers prior to installing updates
- Install drivers automatically
- Drivers are downloaded via the application
- Detects and display hardware devices unknown
- Automatic scheduler of driver updates
- No actual updates in free version, only scan
- Restrict the user to only 10 driver downloads per month
- Cannot perform a bulk download of drivers
Tips. If you download 2 drivers per day for the next 5 days, you will not be able to execute any downloads for that particular month as you would have reached the maximum number of allocated monthly downloads.
Verdict. A system runs on many drivers as it has a lot of devices to communicate for smooth operation. Although DriverMax has cool impressive features, the limitation is too extreme to keep your PC in good shape.
However, with most of free driver updater software yet unable to keep users away from digging driver links, DriverMax does it all with a single click. The limitations inflicted can be pushed to the side if you perform a full system update before installing DriverMax. This will allow you to spread incoming updates over a long period.
Avast Driver Updater is a small simple software to update drivers on a Windows PC. It is light, operates fast and smoothly, finds missing, corrupt or drivers that require an update. All you have to do is to press a big green Start Scan button and get results in a matter of seconds, literally. All the features one would need in a driver updater tool are implemented in it, the only issue with Avast Driver Updater is that it’s only partially free – you can scan for free, but to install updates you have to pay $49,99 for one-year subscription.
- Scans PCs for erroneous and outdated drivers
- Checks for drivers updates in the background automatically
- Creates restore points upon each update
- Targets audio, video, graphics, printers, keyboards
- Set to run o Windows startup or not
- The ability to select drivers for backup
- Nice clean interface
- Online support 24/7
- Only trial version available for free
- Does not display driver source when prompting to update it
- Pop-up messages appearing when switching tabs
Tips. Use this Avast tool to scan for updates or errors, if you need a quick check-up of your device. When using a paid version, check or uncheck a box in Options to set a “reboot PC upon updates” feature. Also, take your time with other settings, which could be handy.
Verdict. Driver Updater is a nice little addition to the diverse Avast family of security and utility software. Our tests showed that is works faster when comparing to other tools, although we did not test update times available in subscription only, to be frank.
Snappy Driver Installer is an impressive freeware tool for updating multiple drivers at a go. The software detects devices that are in critical conditions in terms of outdated, broken or missing drivers. It then downloads the essential files needed for updates and gives the user access to set up the updates.
- Can install drivers online as well as offline
- Does not need installation as it can be used in an external hard drive
- Displays system information
- Filter feature to help the user find the best matching drivers to install
- Downloads in driver packs
- Compatible with Windows XP and above
- Can install drivers while offline
- Quick driver installation