|Original author(s)||TuneUp Utilities|
|Developer(s)||AVG Technologies / Avast|
|Initial release||1997; 23 years ago (1997)|
2018.2 (build 192) / October 2018
|Operating system||Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10|
|Platform||x86 and x64|
|Available in||English, German, French, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Portuguese, Polish, Japanese, Russian, Czech, Indonesian, Turkish, Chinese.|
AVG TuneUp, previously called AVG PC Tuneup, and TuneUp Utilities, is a utility software suite for Microsoft Windows designed to help manage, maintain, optimize, configure, and troubleshoot a computer system. It was produced and developed by TuneUp Software GmbH. TuneUp Software was headquartered in Darmstadt, Germany, and co-founded by Tibor Schiemann and Christoph Laumann in 1997. In 2011, AVG Technologies acquired TuneUp Software. AVG was then acquired by Avast in 2016.
As of 2018, eighteen major versions of TuneUp Utilities have been released. TuneUp Utilities has attained generally positive reviews, although multiple reviewers did not approve of its price for value.
AVG PC TuneUp has features for PC maintenance, optimization, updates, to free up hard-drive space, and to uninstall unwanted applications. The "Automatic Maintenance" tool removes tracking cookies, cache files, old files from removed applications, and fixes issues with the Windows registry. PC TuneUp's "Sleep Mode" puts background processes to sleep until needed to reduce their burden on the computer's resources. PC TuneUp also has an uninstaller to remove unwanted programs like bloatware and a software updater that installs the most recent patches or updates. The Disk Cleaner and Browser Cleaner tools remove installer files, temporary system files, browser caches, and other files.
The first version of the software, TuneUp 97, was released in 1997. New versions have been released over the years ever since.
- TuneUp Utilities 2003
- The first version is available in English, French, and German. It consists of 16 individual tools accessible through the Start Center, as well as the Windows start menu. It includes features to clean the hard disks, clean and defragment the Windows Registry, optimize Windows and Internet connection settings and change the look and feel of Windows. It also provides features targeted at users with an intermediate or advanced level of computer knowledge that enables them to edit the registry, manage running processes, uninstall programs, shred and undelete files, and display system information. In addition to the previously-supported Windows 95 and Windows 98, TuneUp Utilities 2003 also supports Windows 2000, Me and Windows XP.
- TuneUp Utilities 2004
- The 2004 release introduced TuneUp 1-Click Maintenance and TuneUp WinStyler (the predecessor TuneUp Styler). It also includes registry defragmentation support for Windows 2000 and XP.
- TuneUp Utilities 2006
- In TuneUp Utilities 2006, optimization, customization, and disk cleaning tools that support Mozilla Firefox were added. A feature was added where the TuneUp StartUp Manager displays editorial rating and explanations about well-known programs that start during computer startup. TuneUp Styler, in this version, is able to change the boot logo of Windows XP.
- TuneUp Utilities 2007
- TuneUp Utilities 2007 featured two new components: TuneUp Disk Doctor and TuneUp Disk Space Explorer. TuneUp Utilities 2007 also supports Windows Vista.
- TuneUp Utilities 2008
- The 2008 version incorporated two more components: TuneUp Drive Defrag and TuneUp Repair Wizard.
- TuneUp Utilities 2009
- In the 2009 version, Start Center added a new section that analyzes the system and then displays the current status as well as available recommendations (if any) in three areas: System maintenance, Speed and System status. This version introduced TuneUp Speed Optimizer (renamed StartUp Optimizer in subsequent versions) and TuneUp Shortcut Cleaner. The TuneUp Styler added in this version can change the Windows Vista logo animation displayed during startup.
- TuneUp Utilities 2010
- TuneUp Utilities 2010 added compatibility with Windows 7. A new Turbo Mode introduced in this version allows the user to disable multiple background functions of Windows and programs with one click, like Windows Aero, Windows Search, Windows Error Reporting or synchronization with mobile devices. This version also introduced TuneUp Live Optimization.
- TuneUp Utilities 2011
- In 2011 TuneUp Program Deactivator was added. Deactivator can disable programs that impose significant system load, thereby eliminating the load without uninstalling the programs. If the user tries to start a disabled program again, TuneUp Program Deactivator automatically re-enables the program on the fly. A new program rating functionality in this version shows how other TuneUp Utilities users have rated the usefulness of a given program on a scale of 1 to 5 stars. The Start Center also includes a Tuning Status, which tracks and displays optimization progress and highlights areas with remaining optimization potential.
- TuneUp Utilities 2012
- The 2012 version introduced a new Economy Mode that, when enabled, helps save battery power.
- TuneUp Utilities 2013
- In 2013, the software was improved in the area of disk cleanup and performance optimization via the Program Deactivator and the Live Optimization. Windows 8 support was added.
- TuneUp Utilities 2014
- The 2014 version of TuneUp Utilities introduced the Duplicate Finder, Windows 8.1 App Cleaner, and Flight Mode. The User Interface, Disc Cleaner and Automatic Cleaning Updates were also improved.
- AVG PC TuneUp 2015
- With the 2015 version, TuneUp Utilities was merged with the almost identical AVG PC TuneUp.
- AVG PC TuneUp 2017
- The 2017 version improved the licensing, so the software could be installed on an unlimited number of computers in the same household. It also introduced an automatic software updater that checks for newer versions of software installed on the computer.
- AVG PC TuneUp 2018
- The 2018 version added an improved user interface and new uninstaller tools.
- AVG PC TuneUp 2019
- The 2019 version added new statistics and a Disk Doctor feature to scan and fix hard drive errors on users PCs.
TuneUp Utilities received generally positive reviews.
Computer Shopper magazine reviewed TuneUp Utilities 2009 and gave it a score of 8 out of 10. It commended TuneUp Registry Cleaner as well as the hard-drive-related components of the product. However, it also noted that some tools are superficially implemented. The software lacks an antivirus and personal firewall. TuneUp Utilities 2009 was voted No. 37 of "The Top 100 Products of 2009" by Computer Shopper readers and was named "Best Utility Suite" by the editors.
CNET reviewed TuneUp Utilities 2009 and gave it 5 stars out of 5. "To call TuneUp Utilities 2009 useful would drastically understate the situation", said Seth Rosenblatt, an associate editor with CNET. He said TuneUp Utilities was a powerful and easy-to-use set of tools, with its disk cleanup and registry cleaner being the "bread-and-butter" of the suite.
PC World's Preston Gralla reviewed the 2010 version and commented that TuneUp Utilities is a comprehensive suite that "includes everything from a startup optimizer to a defragmenter, from an overall speed optimizer to a Windows Registry cleaner, and more". However, he said that the high price of the entire suite ($50) might make a purchase decision more difficult. Preston had also previously reviewed TuneUp Utilities 2009 for PC Advisor and gave it 4.5 stars out of 5 stars.
PC Magazine reviewed TuneUp Utilities 2011 and gave it a score of 4 out of 5. "Overall, the software does a fine job of revitalizing a worn PC," commented Jeffrey L. Wilson, a PC Magazine software analyst. He appreciated the product's one-click repair feature and the subsequent reduction in his test PC's boot-time. However, Wilson criticized the software license that only permits installation on up to three PCs. In comparison, a competing product called Iolo System Mechanic 10, allows an unlimited number of installations in the same household.
TuneUp Utilities received a Softpedia Pick award from Softpedia. Although Softpedia editor Alex Muradin expressed concern about the lack of proper technical support for TuneUp Utilities 2006, he gave the product a final score of 5 out of 5. However, he gave this product a subscore of 3 out of 5 for pricing/value.
Author Christian Immler characterizes TuneUp Utilities as a classic amongst tuning tools.CNET reviewed TuneUp Utilities 2015 and gave it a score of 3.5 out of 5. "AVG PC TuneUp is a well-designed and effective tool that mostly accomplishes what it claims. Its advantage lies in its streamlined user flow and one-click-friendly design," said Eddie Cho, a tech editor and producer for CNET.
- ^^ Only Windows XP Home Edition, Professional Edition and Media Center Edition are supported.
- ^ abcd"About us". TuneUp Corporation. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- ^ ab"TuneUp Utilities 2004". MajorGeeks.com. 5 April 2004. Archived from the original on 14 July 2011. Retrieved 28 November 2010.
- ^"Unternehmen". TuneUp Deutschland. TuneUp Distribution GmbH. Retrieved 3 January 2011.
- ^ abcd"AVG TuneUp". AVG.com. 25 June 2019. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- ^"AVG TuneUp". PCMAG. 26 April 2019. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- ^ abc"TuneUp Utilities 2003". cnet download.com. 14 July 2003. Retrieved 30 November 2010.
- ^ abc"TuneUp Utilities 2007". cnet download.com. 13 July 2007. Retrieved 1 December 2010.
- ^ abc"Table of operating systems supported by TuneUp Utilities". TuneUp Corporation. 19 July 2010. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- ^ abcdefWilliams, Mike (29 October 2010). "Review: TuneUp Utilities 2011". Softwarecrew. Retrieved 30 November 2010.
- ^ abcdefWilson, Jeffrey L (26 September 2012). "TuneUp Utilities 2013". PC World. IDG. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- ^"5 best tune-up utilities for Windows 10". Windows Report. 11 December 2017. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- ^"TuneUp Utilities Download Archive". TuneUp Corporation. Archived from the original on 2 January 2011. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- ^Condo, Jean-Charles (24 July 2003). "TuneUp Utilities 2003 (optimisation Windows et PC)". BRANCHEZ-VOUS!. Archived from the original on 10 October 2003. Retrieved 30 November 2010.
- ^Price, Mike (12 January 2004). "TuneUp Utilities 2003 review". Expert Reviews. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- ^"Customize Windows". TuneUp Utilities website. TuneUp Corporation. Archived from the original on 30 December 2010. Retrieved 16 January 2011.
- ^"TuneUp Utilities 2006". Online-Bestellung. Digital River GmbH. Retrieved 16 January 2011.
- ^Muradin, Alex (13 December 2005). "TuneUp Utilities 2006 Rocks!". Softpedia. SoftNews NET SRL. Retrieved 16 January 2011.
- ^ abCopestake, Stephen (9 January 2007). "Review: Tuneup Utilities 2007 Windows optimiser". PersonalComputerWorld. Archived from the original on 8 December 2008. Retrieved 30 November 2010.
- ^Czekajewski, Łukasz (27 May 2009). "TuneUp Utilities 2008 – optymalizacja i naprawa Windows". Komputer Świat (in Polish). Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- ^ abWilson, Jeffrey L. (24 April 2009). "TuneUp Utilities 2009". LAPTOP Magazine – Online (www.laptopmag.com). Bedford Communications, Inc. Retrieved 20 July 2010.
- ^ abMcKinnon, David (24 January 2010). "TuneUp Utilities 2010 review". Expert Reviews. Retrieved 30 November 2010.
- ^ abGralla, Preston (3 December 2009). "TuneUp Utilities 2010 Replaces Many Other Utilities". PC World. PCWorld Communications, Inc. Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- ^"TuneUp – Utilities 2010 review". IT Reviews. 16 December 2009. Archived from the original on 28 April 2012. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- ^ abcWilson, Jeffrey L. (27 October 2010). "TuneUp Utilities 2011". PC Magazine. Ziff Davis, Inc. Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- ^Williams, Mike (18 October 2011). "TuneUp Utilities 2012 review". BetaNews. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- ^"TuneUp 2013: New Cleaning Features and Benchmarks (Part 1)". TuneUp Blog. AVG Technologies. 25 September 2012. Archived from the original on 11 October 2013. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- ^Kolokythas (4 September 2013). "TuneUp Utilties 2014 ist erschienen – mit fünf neuen Funktionen". PC-WELT (in German). Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- ^AVG PC TuneUp – Homepage
- ^ ab"AVG TuneUp". PCMAG. 4 May 2017. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- ^ abWilliams, Mike. "AVG PC TuneUp 2019 v16.78 – Software Downloads". Techworld. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- ^ ab"TuneUp Utilities 2009". Computer Shopper. SX2 Media Labs, LLC. March 2009. Archived from the original on 20 September 2011. Retrieved 17 January 2011.
- ^Anderson, Sarah E.; Burek, John A.; Haselton, Lauren; Jerome, Will; Krawczyk, Konrad; Rougeot, Jonathan; Safford, Matt; Smith, Catharine (2009). "Best Utilities Suite: TuneUp Utilities 2009". Computer Shopper. SX2 Media Labs, LLC. Archived from the original on 30 September 2011. Retrieved 30 November 2010.
- ^Rosenblatt, Seth (25 November 2008). "TuneUp Utilities 2010 9.0.4300.7 — CNET Editors' review". Download.com. Retrieved 20 July 2010.
- ^Gralla, Preston (20 January 2009). "TuneUp Utilities 2009 review". PC Advisor magazine – Online (www.pcadvisor.co.uk). International Data Group (IDG). Retrieved 20 July 2010.
- ^"TuneUp Utilities 2011". Softpedia. SoftNews NET SRL. Retrieved 29 November 2010.
- ^Muradin, Alex (13 December 2005). "TuneUp Utilities 2006 Rocks!". Softpedia. SoftNews NET SRL. Retrieved 24 February 2011.
- ^Immler, Christian. Das PC-Handbuch [The PC-manual] (in German). Pearson Education. p. 690. ISBN . Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- ^"CNET Download: AVG PC TuneUP 2015". CNET. Retrieved 20 May 2015.